Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mr. Blue. Parker  and  a  diary
                       I  had  Mr. Blue. Parker,  a  diary   etched  with  my  name  and  an  ambition  ringing   in   my  ears   like   a   police  siren.
I  was   a  woman  in  a  hurry!
But  like  always,  with  all  things  in  a  hurry   to  catch  the   first  cab,  job  or  boyfriend,  there  were  bound  to  be  broken  heels   along   the  way,  potholes   inviting   me   with   open   arms   and   the   next   hurrying    knight   elbowing   my   ribs   painfully   to   come   first  in   the  race!   
 So   as  to  say,  the   diary,  the   first   nemesis  of  a  whole  lot  to  come,   was  refusing   to   cooperate. But  I  too   was   not   the  kind   to  let  go  of  it   without   a   good,   soul  satisfying   brawl!
The  diary   was   the  usual   kind,   although   much  appreciated   by  the    army   of  office   goers   taking   orders,  it   had  nothing   much  to  offer   to  my   creative  rebellious  spirit. The  horizontal  lines  were  too  close  for  comfort,  and   halfway  through  the  pages   there  were   boxes  with   bold   capitalized  color  coded  dates  and  days   fighting  to  take  away   half  the  page…..just  like  siblings  forced  to  share  a  bed   and  if  that  was  not  enough   there   were  grandmother  sayings   and  old  school  morals  scribbled  in  whatever  little  space  left  on   the  top   and   the    bottom! 
So   where   was  I  supposed  to  write? In  corners? like   within  the  black  triangles  of  photo  albums!  God!
Have  you  ever  scribbled  in  a  diary? Not  the  anniversary   or  birthday  reminders  or  grocery  items   but   trying  to  put  down  memories?  You  must  have.…everyone  who  knows  how  to   write  or  draw….. poetry   or  drawing   hearts   with   arrows  or  daggers  passing   through,   did  this  at  some  point  of  time,  if  not  on  new  diaries   then  old  unused   ones.  And   as   you   must   have   realized  writing  a  diary  or  in  a  diary  is   difficult.
 Let   me   tell   you   why…
Firstly  the  whole  process   associated  with  a  diary  makes  it  sound  as  mundane  as  a  9 to  5  job.
Secondly  with  the   good  memories  trapped  in  photographs,  what  is  left  to  write  are   the  ones  in-between  the   photographs :  Mostly  the  unhappy  kinds   where   the  sole  purpose   is  to  seek   revenge  against  a   certain  person   at   a   later  date! So  in   the  very  beginning,  the  narrow  lines  suffice  the  unhappiness   but  as   your  anger  and  frustration  builds  up,  every  word  becomes   bigger   or  smaller….it’s   size   directly  proportional   to   your  frenzy  in  the  process  occupying   more  horizontal   lines  than  the  notebooks   used   by   kids   to  learn   cursive   writing!
Sadly,  despite  all   the   discipline   dictated  by  the  lines,  the   words  take  off  and  land  at    irregular  intervals   making   the   script  look   like   a   Picasso  painting,  that  which  most  of  us  will  have  to  stand  on  our  head  to  understand!
But   anyways, I   had   to   write   and   so   I   began   to   write.  
 At   least   Mr. Blue. Parker   turned   out    docile!  Thank   God  it  did  not  spread  the  two  legs   of  its  tip  a   full  180  degree   against  the  page  like  a   ballet  dancer!
 The  first  words  had  to   be  fancy,  lacy,   so   as   to   give  the   rest  of   my   words  the   magnetic  beauty, the  lunatic  self  adoration   and   the   hypnotic   dance   that   makes  show  business   what   it  is!
Of  course  I  thought  of   writing  as  a  show  business! Then  again,  which  business  is  not  show  business?
I   went   in   search  for  styles.  Times  roman, Calibri  and  such  normal  pedestrian  looking  was  not  for  me.  For  me  it   would  be  Victorian   Edwardian  something  with  all  its  twists  and  turns  like  mountain  roads   adorned  with  angel  wings.  It    should   give  me  and  my  writing   a  sense  of  the  age  old   romantic   royalty   from  the  13 –14  century   that   only   wines,  poetry  and   the   court   of   kings  have,  the  times  when  men  wore  wigs  and superman   batman   capes   while   trudging  around   in  knee  high  socks  and   football  shoes  and   women  tied  their   breasts   around   their   neck  like   chokers !  
I   chose   the   fanciest   possible. 
Well,  it   turned  out  to  be :  difficult   to   write  and  impossible  to  read. The  whole  first   word  seemed  to  be  made  of  creepers  entwined  amongst   themselves,  while   crawling  over  some   old  fortress  and   getting  nowhere.    It   turned   out   to   be  more   like  a   snake  ladder  game   than  any  word.
Oh,  the  perils  of    fashion! Yet, it   looked   splendid   like   those   backless  frontless  gowns  pinned  on  by  movie  stars  even  in  snowing   winters!
  It  was   almost  as  if   I  had  learned  calligraphy,  the   Chinese     Japanese  typos    but  then   neither   did   I  have   the   time   nor  the  space   in  my  diary  to   become  a   painter!
I  decided  to  be   straight,  forward  and   fast. And   for  the  sake  of  my  sanity  and  vision  I   decided   to  be  simple .
 The  world   out   there  was   waiting  for  me.  
I  told  myself, I  would  use   the  complicated  snake  things   to  be  sent  to  agents  and  publishers  to   get   their   attention! I  know  they  love  all  things  old  and   such  fancy   choker   times .  Haven’t   you  seen  the  way   they  keep  reprinting  the  Shakespeare ’s   and   the  Tolstoy’s?  
I  would  then,  when  time  comes,   entice   them  to   submit  to  my   whims. Of  course  if   the  snakes  and  angel   wings  would kill  their   vision  or  understanding,   I   would   send   reminders!  At   least   that   was   the   plan.

2 comments: