Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The beginning
My role  model :  my  rock  musician  brother  said  one  day, "you  talk  too much.  why  don't  you  write  what  you have  to  say  and  then  I  will  read  it  in  my  spare  time."
I  took  it  as   a  joke.  yet,  I  decided  it  could  be  a  fun  way  to  communicate.
So  I  picked  up   a pen  and  a  diary (I  didn't  have  a  fancy  laptop  in  those  days)  and  decided  to  become  a  writer!
When  I was  as  far  as  10  pages  I  showed  the  scribbled   things  to  my  role  model.
"You  should  send  it  to  the  publishers  or  literary  agents.  It's  their  job  to  read,  not  mine.  Why  are  you  harassing  me?"
It 's  been  18 years,  since the  blessed   day  I  have  been  harassing  literary  agents  and  publishers  by  sending  them  all  sorts  of  query  letters,  asking  them/  requesting  them / begging  them  in  the  most polite  manner  to  see  my  material.  at  times  I  have  used  endearments  such  as  Dear  and  My  dear   too.  I  have  send  fancy  envelopes,  pink  and  black  colored  ones  some  with  perfume  too,  just  to  entice  them. At  times  I  was  just  short  of  screaming  my  love,  my  adoration  for  them. 
Many-er  times  I  have   actually   gone  to  temples, churches  and  mosques   with  my  envelopes.  Placed  them  at  his  Lordships  feet,  seeking   blessing,  the  extra   special  ones  that  make   multi  million  dollar   writers   who   live  like  movie  stars!
"I   want  to  be  famous  and  rich."
I  think   this  is   the   standard  prayer  now-a-days  by  all  living  species   including  the  pigs  and  the  cows,  come  what  country,  religion  or   Gods  or  devils  they  belong   to.   
But,  these,  the  literary  agents  and  publishers  are   one  stubborn  species!
They  have  been  writing  rejection  letters, since the  same  blessed   day  I  put  my pen  on  that   colorful   diary   page,  all  thought  not  with  the  same  frequency  or  passion. 
But  one  thing  I  pride  in  other  than  my  persistence:  they  are  not  as  creative  as  I  am.
I  have  written  ten  books.
They  still  have  the  same  standard   rejection   letter!
.....but   as  long  as  I  am  there  on  the  same  earth  as  them,  there  got  to  be  hope! Right?
 

1 comment:

  1. Well written... So true about the lack of creativity of the publishers and literary agents rejection letters.

    ReplyDelete