As high as 79% woman suffer sexual harassment at work places.
Why do corporations turn a blind eye?
There will be numerous whispers, verbal complaints and even written complaints and even when a woman is bold enough to take the matter up with the highest in the hierarchy the entire issue is swept under the carpet.But let history be a warning : Even czars and kings fell….and when they fell they were at the feet of their own slaves. It’s just a matter of time before some woman gets really pissed and decides to get even.
Now the threatening and warnings done and I can breathe easy, so let me try to analyze why do corporations turn a blind eye?
Instead of setting an example through strict action, most organizations even in this so called 21st century where woman form a large part of the work force, turn a blind eye towards such complaints of sexual harassment at the workplace. Even though the perpetrator is a known repeat offender. And even though there is proof?
If you ask me the only reason why anyone would be blind towards understanding of right from wrong and take a rational judgment is either because he is obliged through money or sex or both or is scared.I could think of a few good reasons and if you guys can add to it I would be grateful.
1. The HR/CEO/ chairperson believes that sexual harassment means rape. Anything less than that doesn’t count.2. The perpetrator should be caught red handed.
3. The perpetrator is the best friend of the HR/CEO.
4. the HR/CEO is as much an accomplice and is involved in sexual harassment himself though not with the same employee.
5. The perpetrator knows all the dirty secrets of the company and has threatened to let himself loose if action is taken against him.
6. The company is scared of him or is obliged to him because he is related to the government and is getting special favors .7. The perpetrator is the best employee the company could find and thus has to retain him at all cost even if it means getting raped themselves.
8. The company never had a moral compass in its first place.
9. Very much possible the HR/CEO of the company is as uneducated about women as the cattle he meets on his way to office. Or maybe if I have a lenient view he has no understanding of the so called self respect amongst women.
10. He has no women at home or family or friends who might have taught him a thing or two.
11. He is a Neanderthal / cave man in a suit.
12. His low IQ prevents him from dealing with the issue though he is compassionate.
13. He is a greater pervert and might be having a police complaint against himself somewhere.
14. He believes sexual harassment/ assault/ rape are the only outstanding points of the perpetrators CV and perfectly match the organizational policies.
15. The company is a whore house and not a corporation and the HR / CEO is actually a Madam in guise.
16. The HR/CEO are the perpetrators subordinates and hence are involved in a kiss ass competition.
17. They are names sake HR/CEO and have no power over the perpetrator.
18. The perpetrator supplies the HR/CEO with free alcohol, bribes, call girls and other commissions which they cannot afford to lose .19. The perpetrator has the loudest voice in the organization and also the fittest punch and he can argue and fight for hours over everything and anything .
20. The perpetrator knows how to seek sympathy, can actually shed tears, is a first class melodrama and knows how to act as if he were the victim of circumstances.21. The perpetrator is the only man who can get any business for the company and the rest everyone in the office including the HR/CEO are useless.
I want to ask the corporations a few questions:
Don’t you want your mother , daughter , wife and sister to be respected in this world. How would you react if they were the victims? Just because they are safe now doesn’t mean they will always be so.
How long can you think you can avoid this issue?
Isn’t it always better to tackle something on a simple official level before the whole thing blows into your face and turns into something that will not only shame the perpetrator but your organization?
Yes, someday it will blow into the face of corporations big and small both and Yes someone will fight back till you HR/CEOs learn the lesson.