Saturday, June 15, 2013

an eulogy to dad

                                                 

Celebrate  father’s  day, teacher’s  day,  birthday, valentine’s  day…this day  that  day  while  you  can. Say  sorry,  thank you  and  I  love  you.  Because  sometimes  like with  me  here  you  won’t  get  another  chance.  Tomorrow   is   the  final  rites  of  my  father. You  know, I   often  forgot  father’s  day  but  never  ever  will  I  be  able  to  forget  it  again. But  then  there  is  not   point  of  remembering   it  anymore. Is   there?
How  many  times  do  you  hear  people  preaching  “say  sorry” “say  thank  you”  say  “I  love  you.”
What  did  you  do?
Well  I  will  tell   you  what  did  I  do?
 “Bloody  sentimental  Bullshit.” That’s  what  I   always   said.  “If is  you  love  someone  people  should   know  it  on  their  own. People  know  when  you  are  sorry.  And  thank  you?  We  don’t  say  thank  you  to  friends  and  family.  It  is  like  stating  the  obvious. God!”
Well, my  father  was  like   most  father’s  in   this  world.  He  tried  his  level  best  to  give  me  the  best.
Well,  I  am  like  most  of  us  children   in  the  world. A  selfish  idiot  who  took  all  I  got   and   as   if  my  selfishness  was  not  enough  I  was  a  fierce   rebel  out  to  change  the  world.  And   like  it  or  not  most  of  us   rebels   begin  their  training  by sharpening  their  nails   at   home  against   their  fathers! 
So, Me  and  my  father’s  relationship  was  very  standard:  I  and  he  never  agreed  on   anything. We   fought   like  cats  and  dogs.  Of  course  there  were   peaceful  times  when  we  made  fun  of   everyone  and  everything.  I  got  my  sarcasm,  my  sense  of  humor  and  my fighting  spirit  from  him.  People  used  to say  I  look  like  him  and  that   ‘it  is  lucky  for  a  daughter  to  look  like  her  father.’ Maybe.
I  have  grown  up  from  an  infant  to   a  child  to  a  girl   into  a  woman….but   he   remained  a  dad.
And   then…..Tomorrow   is  his  last  rites.
My  first  memory  of  him  is:   him  trying  to  put  me  into  school.  I  was   five  years  old.
He  took me  to  school   on  the  pretext  of  taking  me to  zoo. Once  I  saw  the  teacher  I held  to  his   belt  with  all  my  strength.  During  those  days  my  grip  couldn’t  reach  his  throat! So I  held  his  belt  with  my  life.  The   teacher   tugged  at  my  other  hand.
“I don’t  want  to  go.” I  cried.
“You  have   to. Everyone   goes  to  school.  You  are  not  alone.  There  are  so many  like  you…see..” he  showed   me  other  students.
“Nooooo.”
“Do  you  want  to  become  big  like  me  or  stay  like small  this?” he  demanded.
I  wanted  to  become  big.  Big  like  him.
“So  you  have  to  go  to  school.  They  have  play  time  too.”
I  was  not  sure.
“I  will  get  you  the  doll   house   you   want.”
I  was   doubtful.
“I want   a  gun.” I  said.
“Fine.” He  agreed. “if  you  sit  here  for  four  hours  without  crying  sobbing…like  a  happy  child….you  will  get  whatever  you  want. ”
I  was  still  not  sure.
“Fine  I  will  sit  with  you.” He  assured  me.
The  teacher  who  was  watching  this  barter  butted  in  and   said  “you cannot  sit  with her  in  class.”
“I  will  sit  outside  the  school.  Just  for  today  let  her  sit  at  the  window  so  she  can  see  me  from  class?” he  whispered  to  her, eyes  pleading.
She  nodded.
“I  will  sit  right  in  front   of   the  gate. There…” he   pointed  out   a  rock. “You  can  see  me  from the  window.”    
I  agreed.
I  went  into   the  class .
After  about  half  an  hour  of  class  I  peeped  out  of  the  window  to  see  if  he  was  there. He  was  not.
That  evening  he  explained  himself, “I  have  a job,  but  sweaty  I  will  always  be  there  to  get  you  as  far  as  you  need  to go…but  beyond  that  you  will  have  to  walk  for  yourself.”
He  was  always   like   that.
When  I  came  home  crying  he  would  say, “man  up.”
When  I  came  back   losing  a   tussle   he  would  say, “fight  back.”
Man  up  and  fight  back  the  two  phrases  that I  learned  from  him  I  used  against  him.
Every  time   he  told  me  not  to  do  something  or  do  something  his  way,  I   manned  up  and  fought  back  as  fiercely  as  if  he  was   my   enemy. In  fact  he  was  the  only  enemy  I  had…the  only  one  who  tried  to   reason  with   me  and   everyone  else?  Everyone   else   was   my   friend!
It  will   always  pinch  me  that   I  never  got  a  chance  to  say  sorry  for  all  the  times  I  thought  him  to  by  enemy  or  say  thank  you  for  the  great  times  we  had  together.
But  I  am  indebted  to  God  that  on  the  last  day  before  the  doctors  put  him  on the  ventilator, before  he  went  into   a  comma,  I ,  just  out  of  the  blue  and  for  the  first  time  in  my  grown   up utterly  fucked  up  life,   kissed  his  cheek  and  then  in  my  no  bullshit  manner  I  said, “ we  worry  about  you.  You  know?  So  be  a  good  boy  and  get  well  soon.  I  will  just  have  my  bath  and  come  back  in  half   an  hour.”
I  was  feeding  him  his  lunch. His  mouth  was  full  so   he   just   nodded. Today   I  hope  that  kiss  on  his  cheek   told   him  what  I  didn’t  say.
I  went  home  for  a  bath  and  then  got  the  call. He  had  a  cardiac  arrest   and   was  put  on  a  ventilator.
After  six  hours   he  expired.
I   did   cry  and   say  sorry,  thank  you  and  love  you  after  he  died.  But  I  doubt   it   means  a   thing.
And  then  father’s  day?  That  will  begin  to  mean  an  entirely  different  thing  after  his funeral  rites  tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that your father did not make a recovery:( I have lost both my parents so I know how you feel right now. They are difficult and sad days :( Try not to worry that you didn't vocalise your feelings: I am sure that deep down your father knew how you felt. You were there for him when it mattered and that would have meant more to him than a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You were there for him when it mattered"... that IS truly important.

    ReplyDelete