Monday, June 3, 2013

How helpless can someone feel


     
My  father  had  a  severe  heart   attack  yesterday evening. He   is  in  the  ICCU  hooked  up  to  all  machines   available  in the  hospital.
You  will  think  why  I  am  telling  you   this? Well, I  can  talk  to  my  friends  and  relatives. Half  of  them   will  just  feel  as  helpless  as  I  am,  the  other  half  will  say  “You are  a physician, you  know  everything,  you  should  be  stronger.” I  don’t  want  either.  I  am  going  to  post  this,  one  because  none  of  them   read  blogs  or  anything  and  secondly  because  I  have  to  keep  myself  occupied  to  be  sane.
But  talking  to  you  guys?  I  could  be  talking  to  God  or  the  winds  or  the  sun  or  the  walls  or  to  you.  Not  because  you  won’t  feel  for  me  but  because  I  can  tell  you  this  without  felling   like  a  spineless  idiot…..or  I  don’t  know  what  but  I  hope  you  understand.  I  can  say  whatever  I  want   yet  not  say  it.  It’s  like  talking  to  myself  yet  letting  out   the  pain. I  hope  you  get  it.         
I  still  remember  the  first  time  I  told  him, “I want  to  be  a  writer.”
He  said, “What?  Why  can’t  you  do  what  you  are  doing?” he  didn’t  say  it  but  shouted  it  out  as  loud  as  he  could.  It  was  like   a  rushing  freight  train  suddenly  honking  in  your  ears.  You  turn  to  see  and  hope  you  are  not  in  its  powerful  path. Thank  God  you  are  still  alive!  It’s  that  massive ,  that  powerful.  I  had  felt  just  like  that  when I  heard  my dad  holler  that  fine  day. My  heart  had  leapt  into  my  mouth. That  kind of  bombastic  voice  he  had.
Today  I  went  to  see  him  inside  that  icy  chilling  ICCU  and  know  what,  he  whispered. I  could  barely  hear  him. It  was  just  breath  going  in   and   out.
I  know  things  are  inaudible  at  times. Like  in  a big  city.  People   can’t  hear  their  own  heart  beat  and  you  feel  invisible. But  this  whisper? It   made  me  feel  like  shit. He  is  sleeping…drowsy   with  the  medicines  being  pumped  into  him…..under  the  white  bed  sheets. The  whole  place  looks  ominous  and  he   looks  pale  and  small  and  so  fragile. 
 I  have  never  ever  felt  this  disgustingly  helpless. And  I  am  a  physician!        
Nature  and  it’s  stooges   have  that  kind of  vile  power. To make   you  fell  like  a  maggot.  So  small  that  you  are  invisible   till  you  can  fell  the  smell  of  a  powerful  disinfectant. Not  capable  of  anything  but  crawling  though  dead  decaying  matter  trying  to  live  one   moment  at  a  time.
You  know,  through  fifteen   years  of  experience  as  a  physician  I  have   seen  many  many  patients, thousands  of  them,  some  come  in  bad  shape  and  go  back  fine.  Some  look  almost  fine  holding  on  to  some  inner  will  power  yet  don’t  make  it  beyond   the  walls.  Men,  woman,  children….sometimes  it  is  frustrating …so  frustrating   that   there  have  been  times  when  I   wanted  to  give  up  being  a  doctor  altogether. Something  out  there  always  made  me  feel  I  was  just  a  puppet.   
Sometimes  it  felt  like  I  was  sitting  in  a  white  coat   fighting  the  inevitable  death…never  winning  just  barely  postponing  the  end.
But  today  I  know  even  though   I  might  not  win  over  death,   postponing   will  do.  I  am  fine  with  all  the  postponing  possible.
I  am  praying  to  God, “Postpone  the  end. Please.”
And  well,  I am  posting  you  this  because  I  have  to  keep  myself  occupied , just  so  I  don't  panic  or  behave  like  an  idiot.   

No comments:

Post a Comment