Saturday, June 1, 2013

How to write love letters to agents

You  got  a  rejection. Your  ego  is  battered.  Now ? Politely   ask  your agent  to  relook  into  your  query/manuscript.  Have  you  ever  written  a  love  letter?  The  sad  desperate  kind? You  must  have  done  so  in  school,  college!  Cut, copy,  paste  and  send  it!  and  if  possible  write  it  with  blood : not  your  blood  silly,  use   pig’s  blood  or  something  else's !

This  is  a  sample : 
My  Dearest   Agent,
I  got  your  rejection  today.
I  can  take  anything  from  you,  but  please  not  a  rejection. I  am  too  sad  to  even  think  you  would  reject  me!
I  have  since  childhood ,  always   wanted  to  be  a  writer.  An  now  this  rejection? Please  try  to  understand  my  plight.

Do  you  know  there  has  not  been  a  single  day  I  have   not   thought   of   you. Can’t  you   see  I   love  you?   I   have   worshiped   you   along  with  my  gods,  put  you  up  there  on  the  pedestal.
And  I  promise  there  never  has  been  anyone  else  for  me. Other  writers  are  sending  multiple queries  but  me?  only  you  for  me. You  are   my  life  and  living   and  the  millions  that  are  yet  to  come!
You  are  representing  other  authors   so  why  can’t  you  represent  me? I  know  you  have  such  great  name  in  the  publishing   industry  that  even  if  you  send  shit  they  will   agree  to  publish! Consider  my  book  that  shit  and  send  it  for  publishing. Please.
If  not, spare  me  some  time  and  edit  my  work. I  will  pay  you  once  I  get  my  million  dollars.  Can’t  you   have  some   patience?  For  a   beaten  soul?
Nobody  has  ever  loved  me.  Nobody   understands  me.  Not   even  my  parents  or  friends. Even  my  teachers   never   loved  me.  Even   other  writers   look  down  upon  me.  And  then  agents?  They  don’t   love  me  at  all.  But  I  have  chosen  you   to  be  my  savior.  Save  me,  Please.
My  only  reason  to  live  is  that  somehow  you  will  love  me  and  represent  me  someday.
My  face and  particularly my  eyes    are  very  swollen  with  all  the  crying  I  have  been  for  the  last  five  hours.
You  won’t  believe   where  where  I  have  cried :  in the  bathroom,  under  the  bed,  in  the  closet….for  what? So  you  will  represent  me. 

I  want  to  tell  you ,  you  broke  my  heart. Whatever  I  have  done  to  you ?  I  have  not  even  hurt  a  fly,  ever.  Can  you   see  the  dark  spots  on  this  letter .  Those  are  my  tears   flowing  like  a  river. If  ever  there  was  a genius  book  of  world  record  for  crying  I  would  have  got  it!
How  could  you   hurt  me? Anyway  you  are  busy  and  I  can  understand  that.
So,  I  am  sending  back  the  rejection  letter   to  you.  Please  think  of  me  as  poor, naked  and hungry  child    in  search  of  a  guide  and  represent  me. And  please   don’t  send  back  the  rejection!
God!  have  mercy   on  my  soul!  and   give   you  some  compassion.
Yours   forever.
Bharati.BV
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment